Friday, January 25, 2013

Due date... or not?

Today we went for my official obstetrics physical. It was pretty much like any other physical I've had other than the fact that the nurse measured my pelvis to determine if I am capable of delivering a baby vaginally.

I always thought this was a non-issue for me as I clearly have "child-bearing hips". But, I learned that hips have nothing to do with ones ability to actually birth a baby. It make sense. I could carry around a giant in my stomach for nine months but not be able to deliver him or her due to a small pelvic inlet.

The nurse informed us that my pelvic is tilted and could cause an issue during delivery however we won't know until we get to D-Day. Another unknown that she spoke of were the effects of my cervical scarring on my ability to dilate. She said that we will have to wait and see what happens and that I should keep a C-Section in my mind as an option.

It's not that I'm opposed to a C-Section. Heck, at the end I get a baby! But, I'm also reminded of the fact that sometimes cervical scarring can be eliminated during a vaginal birth and thus our odds for getting pregnant minus IVF could be higher for round two.

The baby's safety is clearly the highest priority. If I have a C-Section, we can always pay another visit to Dr. Sasson when we're ready for baby number two.

As far as baby number one's measurements, today our nurse Sandy told us that our due date is bumped up because the baby is measuring larger than a 12 week baby. It's nothing earth-shattering but we're now in a new month, July. July 28th.

I will be shocked if that date stays the same....

No comments:

Post a Comment