Saturday, November 17, 2012

In the fullness of time...

This waiting game thing is for the birds! And as I write that phrase I wonder, where did that expression even came from?! A quick Google search and: 


In the days before automobiles, the streets were filled with horse-drawn carriages, and these animals quite naturally left behind deposits from their digestive systems. These emissions contained half-digested oats that attracted swarms of birds, which took nourishment from the deposits. The people of the time coined the expression “for the birds” as meaning anything of the same value as these horse-droppings.
We say that something that is worthless is “for the birds”.
While I think that waiting stinks (not literally as in horse-droppings), I know there must be some value to waiting. We see many examples of people in the Bible waiting on God---waiting for a miracle, or waiting for direction, or waiting for a promise to be fulfilled . My two weeks is nothing in comparison to Abraham and Sarah's waiting 100 plus years for a baby. Even though I might feel like I am wandering through a 40-year dessert, I'm not. 
What value comes from waiting? With regard to my current situation, I am not exactly being patient. I want November 26th to be yesterday. Regardless, God is working to increase my patience. And maybe, I will need to reference this time later, when I am exhausted, running around cleaning up twin messes! (I can only hope!) Or, when a sibling is predictably unconcerned with helping clean up after  the family Thanksgiving feast, or when a visitor wants to talk with me after church and my stomach is growling for lunch. We can all think of instances where more patience could be so valued.
I don't think we ever master the art of waiting. However, I do think God gives us the tools to handle the wait. He offers unimaginable strength and fortitude to help us when we feel like time or answers evade us.
James 1:4
But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing 
Psalm 40:1 
I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry
 Isaiah 40:31 
But those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint

Romans 8:24-25 

For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience

Romans 12:12 

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 


Romans 15:4-5 

For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope. Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus.


Galatians 5:22-23 

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law
.

No comments:

Post a Comment